DETROIT – The suggested retail price for the 2014 Chevrolet SS sports sedan is $44,470, including a $995 destination charge, Chevrolet announced today. Title and license fees are extra. The SS goes on sale in the fourth quarter of 2013.
The U.S.-exclusive SS – Chevrolet’s first rear-drive performance sedan since 1996 – comes well-equipped in only one model, with a power-operated sunroof ($900) and full-size spare tire ($500) as the only options.
“The all-new SS is engineered for performance enthusiasts who’ve been clamoring for a rear-wheel-drive sedan,” said Chris Perry, vice president of Chevrolet Marketing. “Adding the SS to the lineup further solidifies Chevrolet’s position as America’s best-selling performance-car brand and completes a trifecta that includes the all-new 2014 Corvette Stingray and Camaro Z/28.”
Standard equipment includes:
- High intensity discharge headlamps with Light emitting diode daytime running lamps
- Automatic Parking Assist
- Chevrolet MyLink with a color touch screen and GPS-based navigation system
- Bose® premium audio system – including SiriusXM radio (with 12-month trial)
- Color head-up display and color driver information center
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Alloy pedal covers
- Heated and ventilated front seats with memory
- Side Blind Zone Alert and Lane Departure Warning
- Rear-vision camera with rear park assist
- Keyless access and push-button start.
The LS3 6.2L small-block V-8 powers the SS, is SAE certified at 415 horsepower (310 kW) and 415 lb-ft of torque (563 Nm), which helps it sprint from 0 to 60 mph in about five seconds. It is matched with a six-speed automatic transmission that can be shifted manually using TAPshift paddles mounted on the steering wheel.
The rear axle has an aggressive 3.27 ratio that enhances the feeling of acceleration. Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- MacPherson strut front and multi-link independent rear suspension geometry
- Electronic power steering system, optimized for sport driving
- Standard Brembo front brakes, with ventilated, 14-inch (355-mm) two-piece rotors and four-piston calipers
- Forged aluminum wheels, wrapped in ultra-high-performance Bridgestone tires: 19 x 8.5-inch wheels with 245/40ZR19 tires in front; 19 x 9-inch wheels with 275/35ZR19 tires at the rear.
Handling is also optimized with a nearly 50/50 weight distribution and a low center of gravity – attributes made possible in part by the aluminum hood and rear deck lid that are 30 percent lighter than traditional steel panels.
The SS will be available in five exterior colors – Mystic Green, Silver Ice Metallic, Red Hot 2, Phantom Black Metallic and Heron White. All interiors will be Jet Black and feature sport front bucket seats.
The SS will be subject to the gas guzzler tax. Pricing information will be updated when the charge is determined.
You must be logged in to post a comment.