With instant torque, a lower centre of gravity and 125-mile range, the Swind E Classic Mini promises a unique blend of performance, go-kart handling and style for a city EV
- Classic Mini gets electric powertrain conversion to produce a fun & sustainable city car
- Combines cutting-edge powertrain expertise with classic design
- 125-mile (200km) range, 0-60mph in 9.2 seconds, 80Kw power equivalent of 110bhp
- Prices start at £79,000
- Revealed at the London Classic Car Show
SWINDON UK, 14th FEBRUARY 2019: Sixty years after the iconic Mini first hit the streets, a British technology company has unveiled the first production electric classic Mini at the London Classic Car Show. The Swind E Classic Mini combines a fully-restored body and bespoke powertrain developed in-house by industry leaders Swindon Powertrain, specialists that have been providing engineering expertise to automotive and motorsports industries for over 40 years.
Produced in Wiltshire at the firm’s recently-upgraded facility, the Swind E Classic Mini instils all the affection of the original with state-of-the-art EV technology to create an individual, nippy, zero-emissions city car with character. While retaining the same look, proportions and spirit of the original Mini, the bespoke 80kw motor and single transmission ensures responsive and smooth power that can be used without incurring congestion charge fees. Available to order immediately in either left- or right-hand-drive, the limited production run of 100 cars starts at £79,000 and comes with an unlimited mileage one-year warranty and MOT.
- Lithium Ion battery containing 24kWh of energy and electric motor producing 80kw of power (the equivalent of 110bhp)
- Fully charged in four hours via a female Type 2 connector (Fast charging option available)
- Range of 125 miles (200km) with regenerative braking system
- Top speed is 80mph (130km/h)
- 0 to 60mph (0-100km/h) in 9.2 seconds
- 30-50mph (50- 80 km/h) acceleration time of 4.3 seconds helps the Mini offer punchy overtaking
- GVW of 720kg (increase of 80kg from starter car)
- Improved weight distribution (57 per cent/43 per cent compared to 68 per cent/32 per cent of the original car)
- With the petrol tank no longer required, boot space is increased to 200 litres
- Standard features include USB charging ports, underfloor heating, heated leather seats and front and rear windscreen
- Options include infotainment and sat-nav system, power steering, a full-length sliding fabric roof, air conditioning, performance tuning packs and bespoke paint colours
- Choice of six standard colours with a contrasting roof
To ensure the E Classic Mini can stand up to the rigours of today’s driving, the prototype has completed over 10,000 real world miles alongside thousands of hours of virtual simulations of the bespoke powertrain. Contemporary corrosion protection together with completely new brake and suspension parts ensure Swind’s E Classic Mini is substantially easier to live with than other classics.
This highly-advanced Swind E Classic Mini is the brainchild of Swindon Powertrain’s managing director Raphael Caillé, who saw an opportunity to produce an electric car with a soul that people from all walks of life would instantly fall in love with. “This is the first time an electrified classic Mini has entered production,” confirms Caillé. “There have been one-offs and prototypes before, but Swind is the first company to launch such a car to the public. The classic Mini has such a special place in people’s hearts, not only in the UK but around the world. The packaging of Sir Alec Issigonis’ 1959 design was truly ground-breaking and now we are making it relevant again. Its compact size and good visibility, together with contemporary performance and handling, makes it a car you’ll want to drive in the city and put a smile on your face.”
About Swindon Powertrain: Swind is the brand of parent company Swindon Powertrain. Established in 1971 as a high-performance engine specialist, its original focus was maintaining Formula 1 engines in the 70s and early 80s. This expanded in other branches of motorsport including rallying and touring cars. Today, the firm supplies engines to the majority of the British Touring Car grid. Since 2010, the firm has diversified into supporting new road car powertrain development including alternative powertrains and electrification. In 2018 it created the Swind division to develop consumer products, launching its hyper electric bicycle the Swind EB-01. For more information visit www.swind.life.
Notes: Swindon Powertrain Ltd Limited restores and modifies existing Pre-2001 classic Mini automobiles for its customers. Swindon Powertrain Ltd does not manufacture or sell Mini automobiles. Swindon Powertrain Ltd is not sponsored, associated, approved, endorsed nor, in any way, affiliated with Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW). The Mini® name and logo are trademarks of Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, and any other products mentioned are the trademarks of their respective holders. Any mention of trademarked names or other marks is for purpose of reference only. The product of Swindon Powertrain’s painstaking effort is a Classic Mini® restored and electrified by Swindon Powertrain ltd.
You must be logged in to post a comment.