2012 Chevrolet Camaro, Camaro SS & ZL1
- LSA 6.2L supercharged engine will produce an estimated 550 horsepower (410 kW) and is matched with a six-speed manual transmission with a dual-disc clutch system
- Packed with performance technologies, highlighted by Magnetic Ride Control, and advanced materials – including a vented carbon fiber hood insert. Extensive aerodynamic development designed for
- Development ongoing, targeting launch at the beginning of 2012
ZL1: Chevrolet Camaro Enters The Realm Of Advanced Performance Technology
The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is the highest-performing Camaro and the most technically advanced car ever developed in its class. The new ZL1 continues the momentum of Camaro, propelling it into an entirely
new realm of leading-edge performance technology. It is planned to launch at the beginning of 2012.
Motivated by a supercharged V-8 engine producing an estimated 550 horsepower (410 kW), the Camaro ZL1 will be the fastest Camaro ever offered by Chevrolet. And more than just power, the ZL1 features
technologically advanced and highly developed chassis and suspension systems that help it deliver balanced, track-ready handling and braking power to complement its high engine output. Rigorous development of the
ZL1 is ongoing, and official estimates of the car's capabilities will be released later in 2011, as testing nears completion.
"Camaro ZL1 is about high-tech performance and design, and is a type of car no one has ever brought to
this segment previously," said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. "It's the most technically advanced Camaro ever, so we've chosen a name from the most elite and exclusive Camaro in history."
The ZL1 name is derived from the all-aluminum racing engine of the same name, which was developed in the late 1960s and installed into a handful of regular-production 1969 Camaros. Only 69 were built with the
engine, but they've achieved mythical status among enthusiasts, as they represented the pinnacle in Camaro performance – until now. The 2012 ZL1 model is designed to be a major leap forward for the Camaro, bringing
a new level of performance capability to the segment.
The central goal of the car's development was creating something new – a Camaro intended to reach optimal lap times on top road-racing circuits and excellent driving dynamics on the street. To achieve that goal,
engineers evolved many of the existing Camaro's systems, as well as incorporated new technologies such as electric power steering and Magnetic Ride Control, the world's fastest-reacting suspension system.
Camaro ZL1's design communicates and supports its performance mission. Rather than using decorative elements, ZL1 is visually differentiated from other current Camaro models with elements vital to the car's
"Everything about the ZL1's design is directly related to its technology and serious performance, especially aerodynamics," said Ed Welburn, vice president, Global Design. "Our designers' goal was to execute that
function-oriented design with beautifully sculpted forms, creating an imposing, powerful persona. Function becomes the aesthetic. The intent is a car that delivers on the attitude it projects."
Major elements of the ZL1's design are a new front fascia and hood with air extractors, designed in tandem to create aerodynamic downforce to aid handling. The car's hood includes a signature center section
constructed of carbon fiber and rendered in satin black finish. New rocker panels, wide tires, 20-inch wheels and exhaust tips portray the car's handling and power.
The ZL1 badge appears on the grille, hood and the brake calipers, all key areas portraying the technology within.
Supporting the dynamic track and street performance of the ZL1 is the LSA 6.2L supercharged engine, which
will produce an estimated 550 horsepower (410kW) and 550 lb.-ft. of torque (677 Nm), with specific features for the Camaro. Built on GM's legendary all-aluminum, small-block V-8 architecture, the LSA features an
intercooled supercharger system, premium heat-resistant aluminum-alloy cylinder heads and other details designed to ensure its exceptional performance is delivered with smoothness and refinement. Components
and design elements that contribute to the LSA's performance include:
- Balanced, lightweight reciprocating assembly
- High-strength hypereutectic pistons
- Sixth-generation Eaton supercharger with four-lobe rotors
- Piston oil squirters.
Because the Camaro ZL1 uses electric power steering, the engine does not incorporate a conventional hydraulic power steering pump on its accessory drive system. This enhances performance, because no
engine power is used to turn a steering pump pulley.
Camaro ZL1 is a complete high-performance car, not just a Camaro with more power. Key technical highlights include:
Transmission – The high-performance Tremec TR-6060 six-speed manual is matched with the LSA engine. It is the "MG9" version of the transmission, with a higher torque capacity. It is used with a dual-mass flywheel
and twin-disc clutch for easy operation and shift smoothness. A new, shorter-throw shifter actuates the gear changes.
Exhaust – ZL1 is equipped with a dual-mode exhaust system, which alters the sound level and character in response to engine rpm. First used on the legendary Corvette, and specifically tuned for Camaro ZL1, the
dual-mode exhaust will give the car a signature sound.
Drivetrain – It is revised with a stronger driveshaft and rear axle system, featuring a larger and stronger cast
iron differential housing, stronger axles and heavy-duty limited-slip differential. This patent-pending system is designed to ensure that ZL1's tremendous power is delivered smoothly to the ground.
Suspension – The suspension features completely revised tuning and the inclusion of segment-exclusive Magnetic Ride Control. ZL1's Magnetic Ride system will include driver selectable modes (Tour and Sport)
tailored for the preferred style of driving. It uses advanced magneto-rheological science to produce shock damping with the highest level of precision, enabling body control optimized for excellent performance in
everyday driving as well as track situations. This technology appears on only a small roster of some of the world's finest performance cars. Other chassis elements are redesigned to support the car's
high-performance limits. Rear stabilizer bars have drop links repositioned outboard of the control arms. This makes the bars more effective in controlling body roll in turns, with crisp response to driver commands.
Brakes and Steering – Camaro ZL1 features an advanced track-capable braking system, developed in conjunction with experts from Brembo. The large 14.6-inch (370 mm) two-piece front rotors have six-piston
calipers; the 14.4-inch (365 mm) rear rotors have four-piston calipers. ZL1 marks the entry of a new electric power steering system to Camaro. It is being developed to ensure precise control and feedback to the driver,
with greater variability of effort for high-performance driving.
Exterior – ZL1's signature from the front is the redesigned fascia and aluminum hood with a raised, carbon
fiber insert. The fascia includes a front splitter and new vertical fog lamps. The fog lamp area includes air intakes designed for brake cooling. The hood features front-mounted air extractors that direct air precisely
over the car. Visually, this center section, in satin black carbon fiber, communicates the car's high-performance intent as a visual contrast to the car's exterior color. Functionally, the air extractor is a
key in connecting airflow closely to the bodywork, creating aerodynamic downforce. The carbon fiber center section reduces the mass of the hood. High-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps and fog lamps are standard.
The rear of the car includes a diffuser and spoiler, also functional elements that enhance the car's aerodynamics.
Wheels and Tires – New-design, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, which are lighter than the 20-inch wheels used on the Camaro SS, are used with new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires developed specifically for
Interior – ZL1 is tailored for high-performance driving. The front seats feature microfiber suede inserts. Other
enhancements include a redesigned steering wheel, alloy pedals, Head-Up Display with unique performance readouts and the "four-pack" auxiliary gauge system featuring a boost readout.
All of the Camaro exterior colors will be offered with the ZL1, but black is the only interior color. The unique
exterior features are complemented with a black center section on the hood. Inside, the Camaro ZL1 has heated leather seats with microfiber inserts and ZL1 logos embroidered on the front headrests. Microfiber
suede is repeated as an accent on the instrument panel, adding a richer look to the interior. The ZL1 will include the same content as the current 2SS package and include the following new or unique features:
- Six-way power driver and passenger seats
- Unique instrument panel and door panel inserts; and ZL1-logo sill plates
- Steering wheel audio controls with Bluetooth capability
- Wireless PDIM and USB-port
- Boston Acoustics premium audio system
- Rear parking assist
- Rear camera system (displayed in the inside rearview mirror).
Engineers have already driven Camaro ZL1 prototypes extensively at demanding road courses in the U.S. and Germany, with final testing being completed through the balance of 2011.
2012 Chevrolet Camaro, Camaro SS
New for 2012
- Special 45th Anniversary package for Camaro and Camaro SS models, featuring specific hood/deck stripes, badging, new-design 20-inch wheels, special-trimmed interior and more
- High-performance Camaro ZL1 coming in early 2012
- New, standard 3.6L "LFX" V-6 with SAE-certified 323 horsepower (241 kW), which is 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) lighter and helps maintain fuel economy of up to 30 mpg highway (2LS model)
- FE4 suspension package for Camaro SS coupe enhances handling
- Revised instrument panel on all models, with new instrument graphics and trim
- New steering wheel design
- Power lift feature for the front passenger seat
- Rear Vision Package, which includes a new rearview camera system to complement the rear park assist feature
- Rear spoiler is standard on LS and LT models
- Body-color "shark fin" antenna is part of the RS package
- Crystal Red Tintcoat replaces Red Jewel Tintcoat (later availability)
Chevrolet Camaro, America's most popular sports car, extends its momentum with enhancements for the 2012 model year. Highlights include an improved version of its standard 3.6L Direct Injection V-6 engine, a
new FE4 performance suspension package for SS coupes and several new interior and technology improvements, such as a revised instrument panel design, new steering wheel and rear camera system.
The enhancements arrive in time for Camaro's 45th birthday, which will be celebrated with a special 45th Anniversary Special Edition package, offered on Camaro and Camaro SS. Continuing the tradition of Camaro
anniversary models, the 45th Anniversary Special Edition carries all the upgrades for 2012, with additional unique design elements, inside and out.
The interior updates include a revised instrument panel appearance, with new instrument graphics and trim,
as well as a new steering wheel design and a power lift feature for the front passenger seat. The steering wheel features a fresh new look and ergonomic improvements intended to support performance driving. Also
new is a Rear Vision Package, which adds a rearview camera system and an auto-dimming mirror to the existing rear park assist feature. The rearview camera system complements the rear park assist by providing
a video display of the area behind the car, with the video image appearing in the car's inside rearview mirror.
Also coming in early 2012 is the high-performance Camaro ZL1, the most technologically advanced car ever developed in its segment. Check this site for product updates and specifications on the Camaro ZL1 when
they become available.
- Three well-equipped models – LS, LT and SS – offer sporty, performance-oriented choices for customers.
- Heritage-inspired interior and exterior convey sportiness through iconic design cues.
- New exterior features include a standard rear spoiler on LS and LT models.
- The new 45th Anniversary Special Edition package is available on 2LT and 2SS models. All come standard in Carbon Flash Metallic (black) and include a unique rally stripe in red and silver, with 45th
Anniversary graphics on the stripes. Also included are special fender emblems, new 20-inch wheel design in deep silver, RS-style taillamp lenses, standard rear spoiler, standard HID headlamps,
body-color roof molding and special-trimmed interior.
- New color: Crystal Red Tintcoat replaces Red Jewel Tintcoat (later availability)
- A well-executed balance of heritage and contemporary features provides a fun and comfortable environment for up to four. An ambient lighting package on 2LT and 2SS trims gives the interior a
special glow with LED light pipe technology.
- Revised instrument panel graphics and a new steering wheel distinguish 2012 models.
- The interior elements of the 45th Anniversary Special Edition package – in Jet Black – include leather-trimmed seats with the anniversary logo, white instrument panel and door trim inserts with the
anniversary logo, red, white and blue stitching on the seats, and the anniversary logo on the steering wheel and sill plates.
- Two audio systems with simple controls are offered and both include standard SiriusXM Satellite Radio for three months (12 months on 2LT and 2SS). The base MP3/CD radio includes a six-speaker system,
a two-line, 32-character reconfigurable display and the capability to select between AM, FM and XM stations without having to reset the frequency. The premium Boston Acoustics nine-speaker/245-watt
audio system is available on LT and SS models. All radios include a standard auxiliary input jack for portable devices such as an iPod.
- Bluetooth connectivity for selected, compatible phones keeps drivers' eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
- Driver and passenger seats feature six-way adjustable settings (fore/aft, up/down and tilt), with power recline front seats that are standard on LT and SS models. Heated, leather-trimmed seats are part of
the 2LT and 2SS trim packages.
- Additional comfort and convenience come via the available sunroof and remote vehicle starter on LT and SS models. Head-up display, which projects key instrument, Turn-by-Turn navigation and audio
system details on the windshield, is part of the 2LT and 2SS trim packages.
A new, more powerful and more efficient version of the 3.6L direct-injected V-6 is standard on LS and LT models. It delivers an SAE-certified 323 horsepower (241 kW) at 6,800 rpm – 11 horsepower (8 kW) more
than 2011 models. It is also 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) lighter than the previous engine, which enhances efficiency and driving dynamics. And while more powerful than the current 3.6L, the 2012 Camaro 2LS model delivers an
estimated 30 mpg on the highway. Highlights include:
- New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
- Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
- Longer-duration intake camshafts
- Composite intake manifold
- New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
- New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
- Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
- Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
- Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.
- Two 6.2L V-8 engines are offered in the Camaro SS, including the L99 on automatic-equipped vehicles and the LS3 on manual-equipped models. Horsepower for the L99 is 400 (298 kW) at 5,900 rpm and
torque is 410 lb.-ft. (556 Nm) at 4,300 rpm. The LS3 develops 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. (569 Nm). Output on the L99 is lower than the LS3 because of a slightly lower compression ratio
(10.4:1 vs. 10.7:1) and design features of the Active Fuel Management system.
- All Camaro models can be equipped with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission with TapShift.
- The Aisin AY6 six-speed manual is standard with the 3.6L engine, and a Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic is optional.
- A Tremec TR 6060 six-speed manual is standard on the SS, and the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic is optional.
- The SS model's Tremec TR 6060 six-speed manual is designed to handle the high torque characteristics of the LS3 engine.
- The final drive ratio for LS3 vehicles is 3.45:1.
Camaro chassis and suspension
Camaro features fully independent front and rear suspensions, with the standard independent using a 4.5-link system that includes a unique, L-shaped upper control arm that attaches to the knuckle at one end and
incorporates a ride bushing in the rear.
- Three suspension packages are offered: FE2 sport on LS and LT models; FE3 on SS Convertible models or new FE4 performance on SS Coupe models.
- The front suspension has a dual ball strut system, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar.
- A sub-frame at the rear is double-isolated to minimize vehicle body motions and dampen road imperfections.
- Coil-over shock absorbers are used in the rear with a decoupled, hollow stabilizer bar.
- Four-wheel disc brakes are standard on all models – including Brembo four-piston calipers on SS – with hydraulic brake assist.
- Rack-and-pinion steering system with a 16.1:1 ratio on all models.
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control on all models.
- Competitive/sport mode on SS models enhances on-track performance.
- Performance Launch Control on SS models with the manual transmission optimizes hard-acceleration launches for quicker, more consistent performance.
- LS and LT models are equipped with standard 18-inch wheels or optional 19-inch wheels; SS comes with standard 20-inch wheels and 21-inch wheels are available as a dealer-installed accessory.
The new FE4 suspension offers a performance improvement for the Camaro SS coupe. Elements include:
- Retuned front and rear dampers.
- New 23mm solid front (23 mm) and rear (24 mm) stabilizer bars, reshaped and positioned outboard of the shock mounts for more effective body control and more precise response.
- Twenty-inch aluminum wheels and P245/45R20 front/P275/40R20 rear tires.
Camaro safety and crash-avoidance features
The Camaro is designed to help drivers avoid crashes, while protecting occupants in the event a crash occurs.
- New Rear Vision Package, which includes a new rearview camera system to complement the rear park assist feature (standard on 2LT and 2SS; available on 1LT and 1SS).
- Six standard air bags include side curtain air bags, which provide head protection for outboard passengers in the event of a side-impact or rollover crash.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver's intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both.
- Standard four-wheel disc brake system featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models.
- Standard remote keyless entry (RKE) system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective "safety cage" around occupants.
OnStar is standard on all Camaro models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for
help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- Six months of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all Camaro models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are
sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.
45th Anniversary Special Edition model
Honor and Valor limited edition Chevrolet Camaro SS
The 2012 Transformers Special Edition we be available this fall on 2LT and 2SS Camaro Coupes with Rally
Yellow paint. The Bumblebee Camaro features black rally stripes that stretch over the hood, roof, decklid and unique high-wing rear spoiler, 20-inch, black-painted wheels, and Autobot logos on the center caps and front
The interior of the 2012 Transformers Special Edition Camaro features black leather seating and yellow-accent stitching on the instrument panel, center console, armrests and seats. Autobot Shield logos
are embroidered on the front headrests, as well as the center console lid.
The 6.2L block is mounted in the bore sizing machine. Deck plates are installed with production cylinder head
bolts on both block head decks. Main bearing caps have also been installed. All fasteners are torqued to their exact specification to duplicate normal distortions in the cylinder bores beforethe final honing process begins.
The cylinder honing head (top left) is ready to begin honing the first cylinder.