GLM is the first Japanese EV manufacturer certified by the Ministry of Transportation. Based in Kyoto, the company GLM Co., Ltd. was established in 2010, but its first step took place in 2006 with the Kyoto Electric Car Project, launched by the Kyoto Venture Business Laboratory, famous for its open and free-thinking culture. Through the development activity, GLM managed to create the ‘GLM ecosystem’, a series of first-class direct partnerships with over 100 technology partners, conducting research and development into new forms of vehicles and transportation that go beyond EV and automobiles.
CATEGORIES / LINKS
The GLM Cars
Headquarters: Kyoto University VBL, Yoshida Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto, 606-8317
(Former site of Nissan Kyoto Automobile Plant)
GLM got its start with the Kyoto Electric Car Project, launched in 1996 by the Kyoto Venture Business Laboratory. Launching GLM Co., Ltd. in 2010. GLM had worked on R&D and the commercialization of a range of electric vehicles, but the notion of an electric sports car captured our imagination. GLM were lucky enough to meet a manufacturer in Kyoto that had, for a limited time, produced a much talked-about sports car — the Tommy Kaira ZZ. GLM took on the concept and quickly set about developing it from scratch as a full electric car. In 2014, GLM launched the first version of the Tommy Kaira ZZ. Its high performance, drawing on the fun handling of an electric car, won acclaim, ramping up the speed of GLM’s business.
- Representative director Hiroyasu Koma establishes GLM Co., Ltd.
- GLM inherits the Tommy Kaira brand of sports car developed in Kyoto.
- Established a Kyoto electric automobile development working group centered around major corporations in Kyoto.
- Opened R&D center at Uji Venture Development Plant (former site of Nissan factory)
- First venture company to obtained domestic licensing for an electric sports car
- Unveiled the first design of the Tommy Kaira ZZ and opened exhibition booth at Grand Front Osaka
- Completed Series A round of funding for domestic VCs
- Began delivering first release of Tommy Kaira ZZ
- Exhibited at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2015, one of the most prestigious motor sports events
- Completed Series B round of funding for overseas funds, domestic VCs, and domestic and international corporations
- Formed production partnership with Kosaka Metals Manufacturing in Maizuru, Kyoto