AC Cars

AC Cars Ltd.

AC_Cars_logoAC Cars Ltd. is a British specialist automobile manufacturer and one of the oldest independent car makers founded in 1901, The first cars were unveiled at the 1903 British Motor Show, where the most notable comment was "We foresee a brilliant future for the Weller 'Autocar'." From 2001, AC Cars sought out a partner to continue the AC brand and concluded with AC Automotive GmbH, Germany to re-launch the brand in Europe.

AC Cars Ltd.
Siemensstrasse
75334 Straubenhardt
Germany 
Tel: 0049 / (0)7082 20226 

CATEGORIES / LINKS

LATEST NEWS

AC Cars Ltd.

AC Cars Ltd. is a British specialist automobile manufacturer and one of the oldest independent car makers founded in 1901 by John Weller in London. Weller’s funding came from businessman John Portwine, The first cars were unveiled at the 1903 British Motor Show, where the most notable comment was "We foresee a brilliant future for the Weller 'Autocar'."

In 1904, Weller’s business became Autocar & Accessories Limited began to produce a small delivery vehicle called the Autocarrier, a tricycle design. In 1907, a passenger version of the Autocarrier was introduced ans was in production until 1915.

In 1915, the abbreviation AC was used for the first time. and in November of that year a new company was formed called Autocarriers Limited. In 1918, full production of a two-seater, four cylinder AC car began and was sold for $1,020. 1921 Autocarriers Limited becomes AC Cars Limited.

By 1937, AC cars were being exported to North America, however this ceased shortly with World War II. When the war ended in 1945, AC restarted production. In 1950, AC Cars was rolling out five of its two-liter models a week in several body styles and in 1953, the AC Ace was introduced.

In 1961, Carroll Shelby entered into negotiations with AC Cars. Backed by Ford, Shelby proposed the installation of a large 4.2-liter V8 in the current lightweight AC Ace. Built by AC Cars, this resulted in the AC Cobra and by 1963, production of the hand built aluminum-bodied car had reached 15 per week.

In 1986, Ford Motor Company entered into a joint venture with Autokraft to obtain controlling interest of AC Cars and in 1988, production was moved to a new purpose built factory sited within the old historic Brooklands racetrack complex. In 1992, Brian Angliss acquired Ford’s interest in AC Cars Limited. 1996 saw the acquisition of AC Cars by AC Car Group.

In 2001, AC Cars turned 100 and relocated to Albany Park, Frimley, Surrey. Shortly after, a new model was developed aptly named the AC MKV. It featured a carbon fiber body mounted on the original design steel ladder chassis. The AC MKV was produced in Malta until 2007.

From 2001, AC Cars sought out a partner to continue the AC brand and concluded with AC Automotive GmbH, Germany to re-launch the brand in Europe.

Photos

header-b0-2