Fleet-Friendly White and Silver Truck Paint Colors Dominate Sales
November 21, 2017 – A new graphic illustrates the most and least popular truck colors of 2017. Using search data available on Cars.com, the team at Performance Truck Products was able to determine the most popular truck paint colors of 2017. While common fleet colors white and silver dominate sales, black, red, blue, and gold paint colors are also fairly popular.
“While there’s a lot of data about the most popular paint colors for vehicles overall, there’s not a lot of data out there for common truck paint colors,” says Nate Dwyer, director at Performance Truck Products. “We decided to fix that, and we found that business-friendly truck paint colors dominated the rankings.”
A color chart created by Performance Truck Products shows which colors are most popular for 2017:
- White trucks account for 30% of available vehicles
- Gray and silver trucks were next, accounting for 25% of available vehicles
- Black was right behind gray with 23% of available vehicles
- The next highest percentages were red trucks (12%), and blue trucks (7%)
- Gold, brown, and beige trucks combined account for only 3% of available vehicles
- Orange, yellow, and green trucks are the least popular, accounting for less than 1% of sales
“If you’d have asked me before we collected this data, I’d have guessed that red, blue and green were all equally popular. However, as our chart shows, green is significantly less popular than red or blue,” says Dwyer. “The popularity of white, silver, and black trucks is definitely a result of fleet and commercial sales, as at least one of these three colors will work well with most business graphics.”
The data was collected in the month of August at the very height of the truck selling season, and is based on Cars.com search results. While the data is only a snapshot of the entire year, the numbers are based on a very large sample size.