Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) celebrates the world debut of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show. The all-electric, high-performance SUV embodies MMC’s new brand strategy under the new “Drive your Ambition” global tagline, a strategy that reflects an adventurous and progressive mindset for inspirational design and product.
The MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is a technical prototype to illustrate the strategic directions of a renewed MMC brand, incorporating the strengths of the SUV and EV with the ability to integrate new systems for a connected mobility customer experience.
Under this new ethos, MMC leverages its renowned pedigree of driving performance and reliability with breakthrough SUVs and crossovers. As a pioneer of electric vehicles, MMC will expand and accelerate its EV deployment, pushing the technological envelope with a tightly integrated system of artificial intelligence, connectivity and on-board and cloud computing.
“Robust & Ingenious”: The design philosophy of Mitsubishi Motors
MMC has adopted a design philosophy under the title “Robust & Ingenious”.
“We aim to provide vehicles that fulfill our customers’ desires through outstanding design, combined with the power, authenticity and carefully-considered functionality MMC is known for,” said MMC Head of Global Design Tsunehiro Kunimoto.
Robust & ingenious, the design language of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT, is a study in contrasts. MMC vehicles of the future will be genuinely tough and functional, but also clever, resourceful, style-setting and technologically advanced.
The design of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT
MMC has a long and strong heritage: When someone thinks of Mitsubishi Motors they are also reminded of its proven off-road performance and superior 4WD control. Now, the banner of superior, high-performance, 4WD control is carried forward by the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT. The design expresses a readiness to grip the ground with all four wheels as well as the agility of a high-performance, cross-country machine.
The face of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is a fresh take on MMC’s DYNAMIC SHIELD design although in this instance the black grille sits behind a glass cover, accentuated by blue lines, which also protects the advanced cameras and sensors required for its advanced driving technology. Large air intakes are located beneath the headlamps to direct cooling air to the electric brake calipers, while a sharply slanted front windshield and short overhangs give the MITSUBISHIe-EVOLUTION CONCEPT a unique side profile that is only possible with the advent of electric propulsion.
High ground clearance, short overhangs, strong shoulders and narrow hips project nimbleness and agility, while muscular tyres protrude at the four corners to communicate its powerful 4WD traction. Bars running from front to rear along either side of the roof enhance the vehicle’s muscular attitude, while air drawn-in past the C-pillar jet tailfins exits on either side of the rear bumper to aid the vehicle’s excellent aerodynamics.
The large hexagon shape at the rear draws inspiration from the spare tyre cover of the legendary Mitsubishi Shogun, one of the icons of MMC’s heritage and a stalwart of off-road driving.
Inside, the cockpit of the MITSUBISHIe-EVOLUTION CONCEPT gives a glimpse of what’s possible when the traditional firewall is dispensed with. Its instrument panel appears to float in front of the driver, adopting MMC’s trademark horizontal styling with the focus on information above the axis and on operation below. Acting like a level in an electronic viewfinder, the horizontal instrument panel makes it easier to sense the attitude of the vehicle while driving.
A large flat screen spans the full width of the dashboard displaying environmental conditions, navigation and coaching information. The large screen is flanked by two smaller screens, showing images from front and rear cameras, while panoramic glazing provides a near unobstructed 360-degree visibility for a feeling more akin to a jet fighter than a car.
The technologies of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT
- EV system: The MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT uses high-performance electric motors, fed by a high-capacity battery system, to deliver the smooth, torque-rich responsiveness that is the trademark of EVs compared to petrol-powered vehicles. The drive battery is located under the floor mid-ship of the vehicle, providing a low centre of gravity for improved driving stability.
- 4WD system: For exceptional driving performance, the triple motor 4WD system employs a single motor to drive the front wheels complemented by a new Dual-Motor Active Yaw Control (AYC) system that couples two rear motors through an electronically controlled torque-vectoring AYC unit. All of this is integrated into MMC’s unique Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) vehicle dynamic control system to greatly improve its cornering and traction performance. The brakes of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT responsively and precisely control the driving forces with the help of electric callipers that supersede conventional hydraulic brakes. The effects of the system can be felt and appreciated immediately, even at low speeds when G-forces are low. Whether driving around town, on motorways or winding roads, the fully electric vehicle always provides crisp and nimble handling that faithfully mirrors driver intent.
- AI system: The brain of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) system that augments the driver’s capabilities. An array of sensors allows the AI system to instantly read changes in road and traffic conditions, as well as the driver’s intent. Seamlessly coordinating driver intent with vehicle performance, the system supports drivers of all abilities. By making it easier and safer to control the vehicle, the motoring experience is brought to a new level. A special coaching function allows the AI system to transfer knowledge to the driver and to unobtrusively enhance their driving expertise. After building a picture of the driver’s skill level, the system constructs a training program that provides advice through voice prompts and the large dashboard display. As a result, drivers of all abilities quickly experience a vehicle that behaves the way they want it, and soon they find themselves enjoying the driving experience to an even greater degree.
MMC has set up an English website with information about The 45th Tokyo Motor Show:
MITSUBISHI MOTORS UNVEILS NEW BRAND STRATEGY AND TAGLINE “DRIVE YOUR AMBITION”
The 45th Tokyo Motor Show will showcase Mitsubishi Motors Corporation’s renewed ambitions, expressed through two major milestones:
- The announcement of a new brand strategy and first new tagline in a decade.
- The world premiere of the MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT – the embodiment of this new strategy.
1917 – 2017
This year Mitsubishi Motors celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Model-A, the first Mitsubishi car and the first Japanese car designed with series production in mind. The Model-A paved the way for Mitsubishi Motors’ ambition to explore new automobile territories and push engineering boundaries for the 100 years to come.
- From the pioneering 4-wheel-drive PX33 in 1936 to the start of electric mobility R&D in 1966
- From numerous engineering innovations (direct injection petrol engines, engine balance shafts, Super-All Wheel Control) to demonstrations of ability & reliability through racing at the highest level with Pajero/Shogun and Lancer Evolution
- From exploring unchartered territories (Outlander PHEV in 2012) to bringing quality motoring to emerging markets (XPANDER in 2017)
A Renewed Brand Strategy
As part of the first all-encompassing holistic renewal of the brand for nearly two decades MMC undertook a thorough process, looking to both its rich and unique heritage and its ambitious plan for the future, to define a strategy that emanates from the brand’s inner essence while meeting the aspiration of its stakeholders – its ‘drivers’ – inside the company as well as outside.
A clear statement of MMC’s commitment to innovation and discovery with a progressive vision of a sustainable future, this renewed brand strategy is supported by an impressive portfolio of MMC engineering firsts and a passion for all forms of mobility – on road and off road – as well as the foresight brought by a unique pedigree going back 100 years to the first vehicle launched to the world under the Mitsubishi brand.
All in all, the key building blocks for the ‘Ambition to Explore’ brand strategy combine an adventurous and progressive mindset blending four essential ingredients:
The Mitsubishi Pedigree – it’s been a visionary part of Mitsubishi’s DNA for 100 years, and is highly inspirational for employees, customers, and wider stakeholders, inside and outside the MMC world.
The Mitsubishi stance on technology and design – resulting in inspirational design and product features, with a solid future vision for product development and sustainability.
The Mitsubishi take on global business – ambition and exploration are key to business development in a fast-moving global economy increasingly geared towards long-term sustainable growth in a connected world.
The Mitsubishi bond with its customers – who want to move up and drive forward and welcome a mobility brand that helps them to realise their ambitions for their family and the planet.
An Adventurous and Progressive Brand – the Product Evidence
Deeply rooted in Mitsubishi’s inner essence, the “Ambition to Explore” brand strategy finds its best expression in the vehicles its engineers and designers have developed over the years, often challenging accepted frontiers.
When Mitsubishi Motors unveiled its pioneering Outlander PHEV at the 2012 Paris Motor Show, several observers questioned the move – a full-size 4WD Twin Motor plug-in hybrid electric SUV.
Five years later and over 135,000 units sold in selected global markets (soon to launch in USA, and of which Europe ranks number one and where Outlander PHEV remains the best-selling plug-in hybrid SUV), the questions have been emphatically answered, as market response has vindicated MMC’s brave foresight.
Eclipse Cross and XPANDER
Today, Eclipse Cross and XPANDER are about to start their global journey, with a fresh new look at what a dashing SUV Coupe and a quality SUV/MPV crossover could refresh customers’ mindsets in mature and emerging markets.
MITSUBISHI e-EVOLUTION CONCEPT
Tomorrow, Mitsubishi Motors’ future will take its cue from the ambitiously innovative and highly evocativeMITSUBISHIe-EVOLUTION CONCEPT
“Drive your Ambition” – New Global Tagline
A logical development from the Mitsubishi Motors brand strategy, ‘Drive your Ambition’ is the new tagline that describes an attitude that has been true of Mitsubishi since its first car a century ago. Mitsubishi Motors has delivered ambitious cars to ambitious drivers for 100 years, pioneering vehicle genres with seminal products such as Pajero, Lancer Evolution and i-MiEV, while creating cutting-edge technology to deliver breakthroughs all the way to the best-selling Outlander PHEV. Mitsubishi’s drivers have explored new frontiers and conquered breathtaking terrains. From the toughest rallies to building a robust reputation in demanding emerging markets, MMC delivers vehicles that enable drivers to move forward with full confidence. It is the first new tagline in over 10 years.
“Drive your Ambition” is a powerful statement of MMC’s on-going commitment to the values and aspirations of its drivers.
- It clearly differentiates MMC as a customer-centric force in global mobility.
- It will inspire and engage drivers on a deeper, more emotional level.
- It will motivate the Corporation’s inner forces to renew its adventurous and progressive mindset for its next centennial.
With an “Ambition to Explore” Mitsubishi Motors can go anywhere.
With “Drive your Ambition” Mitsubishi Motors’ drivers can go anywhere.
The new global tagline is officially announced at the Tokyo Motor Show 2017, on October 25th and then to be rolled out in all global markets from there on as part of a major overhaul of the brand’s marketing activities and presence around the world on all communications in coming months.