PRACTICALLY ANY VEHICLE CAN BE A SMARTHPONE ACCESSORY WITH PIONEER’S NEW 2017 NEX IN-DASH MULTIMEDIA RECEIVERS PACKED WITH SMARTPHONE AND ENTERTAINMENT FEATURES
May 18, 2017 – Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. today expands its popular NEX platform with five new NEX in-dash multimedia receivers for 2017. The double-DIN 7” LCD AVH-2330NEX and AVH-2300NEX and double-DIN 6.2”LCD AVH-1330NEX and AVH-1300NEX models are designed to complement the smartphone lifestyle of today’s consumer with continuous connectivity and access to a variety of entertainment options. The AVH-3300NEX expands the NEX line-up into the smaller, more universal single-DIN in-dash receiver size, providing for the first time, a smartphone connectivity solution that easily fits into many older and collectible cars coveted by automotive enthusiasts.
The units feature a redesigned, simple-to-use interface and compatibility with popular automotive specific smartphone interfaces and apps such as Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto™1 and Waze®, plus entertainment options such as Bluetooth® music streaming and hands-free calling, Spotify® and Pandora®. For 2017, the new NEX models have been engineered with an optimized PCB layout for audio signal integrity and a number of audiophile-grade components to deliver a premium audio listening experience.
“With Pioneer’s new line of 2017 NEX receivers, we’re making in-vehicle connectivity and great entertainment even more accessible by continuing to offer popular smartphone and music services, but at a more consumer-friendly price point,” said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing at Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “Plus, the introduction of the AVH-3300NEX single-DIN option significantly increases the number of compatible vehicles, specifically meeting the demand for the latest smartphone connectivity in a form factor that can be installed into many of the unique, exotic, or simply older vehicles that car lovers drive.”
EASY SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY AND CONVENIENCE
- Bluetooth Wireless Connectivity – All models feature built-in Bluetooth2 wireless connectivity for convenient hands-free calling and music streaming with compatible Bluetooth enabled devices. Users are able to pre-register up to five smartphones with the receivers, enabling hands-free calling and/or music to be streamed from any of the five previously paired phones, eliminating the need to pair and unpair devices. Additionally, the response time between switching pre-registered devices is faster, as is access to music and contacts stored on the connected device.
- To maximize the connectivity options and call quality for hands-free communication and wireless audio streaming, each NEX receiver features Bluetooth AVRCP 1.6 to provide browsing capability of a user’s media library, and HFP 1.6 with wideband speech for clearer overall sound quality, making it easier to recognize and understand voices during calls
- Android Auto (AVH-3300NEX, AVH-2330NEX, AVH-2300NEX)
Three of the five models feature Android Auto integration, allowing consumers to quickly connect their compatible smartphones to extend the Android platform into the car in a way that is purpose-built for driving. Designed with safety in mind, Android Auto utilizes a simple and intuitive interface to provide navigation, communication, music and more, combined with powerful new voice actions for minimized distraction, so users stay focused on the road. Smartphones running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or newer operating systems offer Android Auto and will work with the three Pioneer models.
- Apple CarPlay (all models)
Pioneer’s CarPlay-compatible NEX in-dash receivers offer consumers the ability to upgrade the vehicles they already own with the latest iPhone® technology specifically designed for the car. Consumers with the latest version of iOS on their iPhone 5 or newer, including iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 6s, can use Siri® voice control to make and receive calls, compose and respond to text messages, access Apple Maps for navigation, and listen to their music, podcasts, or iTunes® Radio.
EXPANDED ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS (All Models)
- Spotify – Control content from the Spotify app for iPhone and Android devices as a dedicated source on the receivers. Listeners can now play, pause and skip tracks using the Pioneer controls, and with a few taps, it is just as easy to browse playlists, albums and radio stations on the go. Premium3 users enjoy ad-free, high quality music and can download music and listen offline with no internet connection.
- Pandora Station Creation and Station Presets – The Pandora station creation4 feature enables users to create new Pandora stations while the app is in use with an iPhone device or compatible Android smartphone. Users can simply press and hold a button on the new receivers to create a new Pandora station dynamically from the currently playing song or artist. Pandora enables listeners to store their personalized stations on six presets for easy access on the receiver.
- USB Connectivity – When connected to an iPhone, iPod, portable USB drive or compatible Android device via the USB port, users can use basic controls (Play/Pause/FF/Rev/Random/Repeat) and display track, artist and album information. Android devices must run OS 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or newer with Android Media Transfer Protocol.
SiriusXM Radio Connectivity – The 2017 NEX models are SiriusXM® compatible with the addition of a SXV300 SiriusXM Vehicle Connect Tuner (sold separately, SiriusXM subscription required). The receivers are also compatible with the Tune Start™, Tune Scan™, Tune Mix and Sports Flash features of SiriusXM.
- HD Radio® Technology – For high quality audio broadcasts, the AVH-2330NEX and AVH-1330NEX feature a built-in HD Radio tuner, providing clear digital reception of HD Radio and additional multi-casting programming on HD1, HD2 and HD3 broadcasts from participating radio stations across the country.
ENHANCED LOOK AND FUNCTIONALITY (all models)
- Sleek Visual User Interface – Each display in the NEX receiver lineup is built with a clear resistive touchscreen and 24-bit true color LCD panel, making it more responsive than traditional resistive touchscreens, with increased color depth for brighter colors and more vibrant images. The five models also feature a redesigned UI with large source and system settings icons for easy accessibility and operation.
- Simple Smartphone Connection – When a driver plugs in his or her smartphone to the receiver, the unit is able to detect whether the connected phone is an iPhone or Android device, and automatically brings up the corresponding service on the screen, CarPlay or Android Auto respectively.5
- Waze Accessibility – Waze is the world’s largest community-based traffic and navigation application. The new NEX units bring the highly popular Waze functionality into the dash of the vehicle on a larger touchscreen display, making it easier to view maps and directions.6 To use the Waze app on one of the five new NEX models, the driver connects a smartphone to the receiver via the smartphone’s corresponding interface cable (sold separately) and opens the application using Pioneer’s AppRadio Mode+, a feature that gives users access and control of popular in-vehicle apps directly from the receiver’s screen.7
SUPERIOR AUDIO PERFORMANCE (all models)
- Optimized PCB layout for superior audio signal integrity and audiophile-grade capacitors and other components tuned to produce truly premium audio
- 13 band Graphic Equalizer with touch panel swipe setting and built-in high/low pass crossover with expanded adjustable crossover points and slopes
- Built-in Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment provide customized audio adjustments for the driver8
- Advanced Sound Retriever®
- Ability for users to play back full HD videos stored on a USB and NTFS files stored on a compatible external HDD9
Receivers offer playback of files encoded as high-res FLAC up to 192kHz/24 bit and provide playback output at CD-quality (44kHz/16bit)
- The AVH-3300NEX single-DIN model features a motorized 7-inch touchscreen display and detachable face for security
All models are backup camera ready – compatible with many original equipment (OE) and most universal rear-view cameras, including Pioneer’s ND-BC8 rear-view camera (sold separately)
- Width and distance parking reference lines are displayed on the NEX touchscreen to further assist the driver
- The AVH-3300NEX, AVH-2330NEX and AVH-1330NEX also come with:
- A remote control to conveniently adjust volume, audio source and more
- Dual camera inputs to help consumers enhance the rear visibility of their existing vehicles, beyond what can be seen in the rearview mirror
- iDatalink® Maestro™ support available on the AVH-2330NEX, AVH-2300NEX, AVH-1330NEX and AVH-1300NEX
- Compatibility with Pioneer’s AVIC-U280 outboard navigation system (sold separately)
- USB Quick Charge (all models) – charges 1.5 amp Android devices
- High power MOSFET 50W x 4
For more information on the new line, visit http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX.
Pioneer’s NEX receivers will be available in July with suggested retail prices of: $600 (AVH-3300NEX), $500 (AVH-2330NEX and AVH-2300NEX), and $400 (AVH-1330NEX and AVH-1300NEX).
PIONEER SHOWCASES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES FOR CARS OF YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW
PIONEER DEMONSTRATES THE NEXT LEVEL OF AUTONOMOUS DRIVING SUPPORT AND IN-VEHICLE ENTERTAINMENT
January 05, 2017 – This year, at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2017, Pioneer showcases key technologies for the vehicles of yesterday, today and tomorrow – including innovations in both aftermarket and automotive OEM technologies. Featured in the booth is Pioneer’s full line of aftermarket products that offer connectivity and audio solutions to upgrade practically any vehicle, from the classic cars of yesterday to today’s modern automobiles. The company continues its automotive industry leadership by revealing its vision for tomorrow, unveiling technologies for the future of driving designed to be integrated into vehicles supporting both autonomous and piloted driving modes. Demonstrations include Pioneer’s Advanced UX Cockpit for highly automated driving, Laser Head-up Display (HUD), and Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) system for vehicles.
“Autonomous driving is no longer a future concept, it’s reality. Pioneer plays a pivotal role in this evolution of the automated vehicle because we continue to provide first-to-market solutions for both our aftermarket and OEM partners. At this year’s show, we are highlighting not only technologies that help make automated vehicles viable, but also those created to make every drive an enjoyable entertainment experience,” said Russ Johnston, executive vice president of marketing and corporate communications for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
The industry predicts that within the next eight to 10 years, vehicles with highly automated driving systems will populate the highways. At CES 2016, Pioneer showcased its assisted driving system with Contextual Awareness. For 2017, the company demonstrates its concept of the automated driving system, the critical next step necessary before automated SAE International Level 3 vehicles become a reality.1 Level 3 is defined as conditional automation of the operational (steering, braking, accelerating, monitoring the vehicle and the roadway) and tactical (responding to events, determining when to change lanes, turn, use signals, etc.) aspects of the driving task. One of the biggest technological challenges of Level 3 automation is creating a safe and reliable hand-off from automated driving to manual driving. At the booth Pioneer is demonstrating how its technologies can be integrated into an automated system that meets the challenges of Level 3 automation. Visitors will get a sense of what driving the car of the future may feel like. Technologies on display include:
- Advanced UX Cockpit demonstration for automated driving
- Driver Monitoring System
- The driver’s status must be monitored in order to determine if he or she is alert and capable of re-engaging with the vehicle and taking control of driving. Pioneer’s Driver Monitoring System is designed to detect driver conditions with image status and recognition technology used to estimate attentiveness, drowsiness, tension and fatigue.
- Facial Recognition Camera for condition and status of the driver
- Heart Rate Monitor for condition and status of the driver
- Steering Wheel Sensor
- Seat Sensor
- Seat Vibration to improve level of alertness
- Sensory UI
- During highly automated driving conditions, the driver will not be required to monitor the vehicle’s status. However, the driver is expected to be available for occasional control but with a sufficiently comfortable transition time. The Sensory UI demonstration promotes safe and reliable operation during the automated driving mode and the critical hand-off between automated driving and manual driving. Pioneer’s Sensory UI incorporates the use of light, directional sound, intuitive touch and video for improvement of driver recognition and responsiveness to manual driving commands.
- 3D-AUI with AR (Audio/Sound)
- Laser HUD / Driver Display (Video)
- Dash LED (Light)
- Active Feely (Touch)
- Seat Vibration (Feel)
- Fragrance UI (Smell)
- Entertainment For Level 3 Automated Vehicle
- Autonomous driving will also allow the driver to experience a second task and consume more information, with entertainment features and options playing a larger role.
- Center Multimedia Display (Entertainment)
- Sound and Aroma Generator (Relaxation)
- Seat Vibration
- Automated Seat Position Control
- Driver Monitoring System
- LiDAR: Pioneer LiDAR 2nd Prototype and concepts of both Wide View LiDAR and Triple Telescopic LiDAR
- Advanced Map Data Ecosystem –
- Collects dynamic environmental information from vehicles on the road and updates data automatically.
- Head-up Display (HUD)
Pioneer’s OEM and aftermarket divisions have a long history of innovation in the automotive industry. The OEM division has been a trusted Tier 1 supplier to automakers for over 40 years, maintaining longstanding relationships with popular and well-respected global automotive brands. Drivers with older vehicles have relied on Pioneer’s aftermarket division to answer their demands for the best sound and latest technology since the 1960s, when the company launched its first line of car stereos in the United States. Over the past 50 years, Pioneer has introduced industry-changing products and features including the first car CD player (CDX-1 in 1984), first satellite navigation system for cars (AVIC-1 introduced in Japan in 1990), first single colored OLED display technology (1998), first smartphone-based headunit with iPhone (AppRadio 1 in 2011), and the industry-first combination of Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ on one headunit (AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVIC-4100NEX in 2015).
At this year’s booth, Pioneer demonstrates how it offers a variety of technical and audio solutions for those looking to upgrade their vehicles, from classics to the newest models. To deliver this message, two vehicles with aftermarket upgrades will be on display for in-car demonstrations:
- 1967.5 Datsun Sports 1600 Roadster
- AVH-X7800BT Multimedia DVD Receiver
- AppRadio One – view and control select iPhone and Android smartphone apps from the receiver’s touchscreen using a one-cable connection.
- GM-D6905 5-channel amplifier
- Two TS-D1330C D-series component speaker packages – installed front and rear
- Two TS-SW2002D2 8” shallow mount subwoofers in custom enclosures
- AVH-X7800BT Multimedia DVD Receiver
- 2016 Toyota RAV4
- AVIC-8201 NEX Bundle (AVIC-8200NEX multimedia navigation receiver and ND-BC8 backup camera)
- GM-D8604 4-channel amplifier
- TS-A1606C A-series component speaker package – front
- TS-A1676R A-series 3-way speaker – rear
- TS-WX70DA compact powered subwoofer enclosure
- AVIC-8201 NEX Bundle (AVIC-8200NEX multimedia navigation receiver and ND-BC8 backup camera)
1In January 2014, SAE International created standard J3016: Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to On-Road Motor Vehicle Automated Driving Systems, to provide a common taxonomy and definitions for automated driving. The standard identifies and lists six levels of driving automation from “no automation” to “full automation”.
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., headquartered in Long Beach, Calif., is a preeminent manufacturer of leading-edge technology solutions for the mobile electronics aftermarket. Its affiliate Pioneer Automotive Technologies, Inc. (PAT) is a key supplier for Tier 1 automotive entertainment systems and components to vehicle manufactures. Pioneer is focused on creating the ultimate in-car entertainment experience with high performance audio and video components, as well as connectivity with today’s smart devices. Building off of more than 75 years of electronics experience, Pioneer has expanded into the cycle sports industry, designing world-class power meters and cycle computers for professional athletes and cycling enthusiasts.
PIONEER is a registered trademark of Pioneer Corporation.
CARPLAY is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
ANDROID AUTO is a trademark of Google Inc.
- Pioneer’s New Receivers Can Upgrade Any Car with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay
- Smartphone connectivity for YOUR vehicle. Access phone, apps, music or even navigation right in your dashboard
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.’s second generation Networked Entertainment eXperience (NEX) in-dash multimedia receivers introduced at the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show are now available at authorized Pioneer retailers across the country. The 2015 NEX line includes the AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-7100NEX and AVH-4100NEX, the first products to offer consumers both Android™ Auto and Apple CarPlay™ connectivity to provide maximum smartphone connectivity flexibility. Two additional models, the AVIC-6100NEX and AVIC-5100NEX, offer only Apple CarPlay compatibility. The NEX line of products also feature advanced Bluetooth®1 capabilities, AppRadio® Mode, MirrorLink® compatibility, iDatalink® Maestro™ support and enhanced audio/video capabilities including Pandora® internet radio, SiriusXM-Ready™, and FLAC file playback.
Key connectivity features of the NEX line:
- Android Auto (AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, and AVH-4100NEX)
Three of the five NEX models feature Android Auto integration, allowing consumers to quickly connect their compatible smartphones to extend the Android platform into the car in a way that’s purpose-built for driving. Designed with safety in mind, Android Auto utilizes a simple and intuitive interface to provide navigation, communications, music and more, combined with powerful new voice actions for minimized distraction, so users stay focused on the road. Smartphones running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or newer operating system offer Android Auto and will work with the three Pioneer models. The first time a user connects a compatible smartphone to the receiver, the user will be prompted to download applications required for Android Auto. For more information about Android Auto functionality on Pioneer’s three NEX models, visit www.pioneer-carglobal.com/AndroidAuto.
- Apple CarPlay (all models)
Pioneer’s Apple CarPlay-compatible NEX in-dash receivers offer consumers the ability to upgrade the vehicles they already own to the smarter, safer and more fun way to use iPhone® in the car. Consumers with the latest version of iOS on their iPhone 5 or newer, including iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6, can use Siri® voice control to make and receive calls, compose and respond to text messages, access Apple Maps for navigation, and listen to their music, podcasts, or iTunes Radio.
- AppRadio Mode (all models)
Pioneer’s AppRadio Mode provides both iPhone and Android users the ability to access and control dozens of popular in-vehicle apps directly from the receiver’s large touchscreen display when connected to an iPhone 5 or newer, including iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6, or compatible Android smartphone using the corresponding interface cable2 (sold separately).
The Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX ($1,400 SRP), AVIC-7100NEX ($1,200 SRP), AVIC-6100NEX ($900 SRP), AVIC-5100NEX ($750 SRP) and AVH-4100NEX ($700 SRP) are currently available at authorized Pioneer retailers across the U.S.
Networked Entertainment eXperience: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX
Owner’s Manual: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/AVIC-8200NEX_OperationManual012116.pdf
1Bluetooth functionality requires a compatible Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. Certain Bluetooth features may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices or by certain wireless carriers.
2iPhone 5 or newer compatibility requires the purchase of the CD-IH202 interface cable kit (sold separately), Apple Lightning Digital AV adapter (sold separately), and Apple Lightning to USB cable (sold separately).