Fourth-Generation MX-5 Miata Records Best-Ever Sales Month
IRVINE, Calif. (April 3, 2017) – Mazda North American Operations today reported March U.S. sales of 24,549 vehicles, representing an increase of 4.9 percent versus March of last year. With an equal amount of selling days in 2017 as in 2016, year-to-date sales through March are up 6.8 percent versus last year, with 69,071 vehicles sold.
Key March sales notes:
- The Mazda MX-5 posted its best March since 2008 with 1,345 vehicles sold. Combined MX-5 RF and soft top sales are up 23.4 percent year-over-year, representing the fourth-generation MX-5’s best-ever sales month since going on sale in June 2015.
- Mazda CX-9 roared to an impressive March, recording 2,550 sales. With a 2079.5-percent YOY increase, this represents CX-9’s best March since 2013.
- Sales of the outgoing 2016.5 CX-5 recorded a modest 5.5-percent decline with 8,470 vehicles sold. The all-new 2017 CX-5 began arriving at dealerships nationwide during the last week in March.
- Total sales of Mazda‘s CX crossover SUV line, including the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9, were up 13.3 percent YOY with 12,271 vehicles sold in the month of March. When making purchase decisions regarding crossover SUVs, a majority of Mazda customers continue to choose the AWD option, with 62.2 percent of CX-line vehicles sold in March being equipped with predictive i-ACTIV All-Wheel Drive.
Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported March sales of 4,061 vehicles, flat versus March of last year.
MAZDA UK ACHIEVES RECORD MARCH RETAIL SALES
- Mazda UK has achieved its largest ever March retail sales volume.
- On-sale from 4th March, demand for the all-new Mazda MX-5 RF exceeded expectations.
- Mazda Financial Services facilitated record finance levels for retail sales over the last financial year.
Mazda UK has achieved a record March of retail sales. With retail sales of 7,556, March 2017 has eclipsed the previous record of 7,496 in March 2010 when consumer sales were driven by the government scrappage scheme.
Having arrived in dealerships on the 4th March, demand for the all-new Mazda MX-5 RF exceeded expectations, while equally strong sales for the MX-5 convertible proved the desirability of Mazda’s iconic sports car in this key spring sales month.
However, across all model lines Mazda’s strong performance with retail customers combined with on-target fleet sales meant that total March sales of 11,178 ended just a fraction shy of March 2016’s 11,499, which was the biggest ever sales month in the history of Mazda UK.
Commenting on the successful month Mazda’s Head of Retail Operations, Laura Brailey said “I’m delighted with our results in March; our strong sales performance in this crucial month has delivered a 68 per cent retail mix against an overall market that is 54 per cent retail. This retail success highlights the popularity of our award-winning range with consumers. And having arrived in dealerships at the start of the month, the all-new MazdaMX-5 RF is proving to be very popular with customers loving its unique styling and stunningly engineered roof. On top of that our SUV range continued to attract strong customer interest with the Mazda CX-3 performing ahead of our forecasts.”
Adding, “Mazda UK’s strong retail sales performance in such a competitive marketplace is a fantastic reflection of our stylish and great to drive model line-up but also the dedicated and passionate teams we have within Mazda UK and our 132 dealers, all of which are focused on our drive to deliver a first-class customer experience.”
As another indicator of Mazda’s strong performance in the consumer marketplace Mazda Financial Services provided a record £71m of finance on Mazda vehicles in March and £315m over the last 12 months. With the all-new Mazda CX-5 arriving in dealerships on the 30th June, 2017 promises to be another great year for Mazda UK.