FULL-SIZE SUVS WITH ADAPTABLE INTERIOR, SMART TECHNOLOGY FOR EVERY OCCUPANT
- All-new Ford Expedition – the smartest, most capable and most adaptable Expedition ever – provides families generous space, connectivity and smart new technology for their next adventures
- Flexible seating and storage solutions include second-row tip-and-slide seating that provides easy access to the third row even when child seats are installed; new, more powerful 3.5-liter EcoBoost® engine and class-exclusive 10-speed automatic transmission are expected to deliver the best towing capability of any full-size SUV
- Ford introduces the all-new Expedition today with an assist from the Dallas Cowboys in Texas – America’s best-selling full-size SUV market; Dallas firefighters join Ford to surprise a local first responder with an all-new Expedition
DALLAS, Feb. 7, 2017 – For today’s active families, Ford introduces the all-new Expedition – the smartest, most capable and most adaptable Expedition ever – with technology to keep every passenger connected, more power for drivers, and more expected towing capability than any other full-size SUV.
The all-new Expedition makes its debut today with an assist from the Dallas Cowboys in Texas – America’s best-selling full-size SUV market.
“When Expedition was introduced 20 years ago, it set the standard for active families who simply needed a big and strong SUV to take them places,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of The Americas. “Today’s families want even more smart technology to help them cover more ground safely, more efficiently and more comfortably – all while staying connected to friends and family.”
Smartest Expedition ever
The all-new Expedition offers more driver-assist technology than any other full-size SUV.
In addition, an all-new high-strength, aluminum-alloy body and redesigned high-strength steel frame form the foundation for Expedition’s rugged off-road and strong towing capabilities. Thanks to the use of advanced materials, the all-new Expedition saves up to 300 pounds, and the team reinvested that weight savings everywhere it counts to give customers more technology and convenience features than ever before.
More than 40 features and driver-assist technologies new to Expedition help make the journey as enjoyable as the destination.
These include class-exclusive enhanced active park assist to easily pull in and out of parking spots, as well as available 360-degree camera technology to help customers see more around their Expedition for easier parking.
On the road, Expedition’s lane-keeping aid is designed to reduce unintentional drifting of the vehicle outside its intended lane, while adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go allows drivers to set a cruising speed, using radar and camera technology to monitor traffic to maintain a set distance between vehicles.
Its collision avoidance detection system helps drivers avoid other vehicles or pedestrians, while available Blind Spot Information System helps monitor blind spots outside the driver’s immediate view.
In addition, Expedition offers available new connectivity technologies and convenience features, including:
- Wireless charging; Expedition is Ford’s first vehicle to feature this system, which allows customers to place compatible mobile devices on an integrated charging pad conveniently located in the front center console
- Wi-Fi hotspot supports as many as 10 devices at once, up to 50 feet away from the vehicle
- Dual-headrest rear seat entertainment system provides a next-generation video experience that allows passengers to view their home cable programming on either of two video screens or hand-held devices
- SYNC® 3, with both Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ capability, allows drivers to stay connected on the move
- SYNC Connect lets owners connect with the vehicle remotely using FordPass® to start, lock, unlock and locate their vehicle from anywhere, while also allowing access to important vehicle diagnostic information
- Power for passengers in every row, with four 12-volt power points, six USB chargers and a 110-volt power outlet that lets passengers stay charged and connected
- 12-speaker B&O PLAY premium audio system perfected by acoustic engineers for a sound experience even audiophiles will appreciate
- Advanced cargo manager with an adjustable shelf behind the third row lets owners create a storage space customized to whatever they’re hauling; even when parked on a hill, cargo won’t roll out the back of Expedition when the liftgate is opened
- Panoramic Vista Roof spans two rows, a feature not offered by any competitor
Most capable Expedition ever
Powered by a 3.5-liter EcoBoost® engine with standard Auto Start-Stop plus a class-exclusive new 10-speed automatic transmission, the all-new Expedition is the most powerful Expedition ever. A newly available electronic limited-slip differential on models with Intelligent 4WD enables improved off-road capability by sending power where it’s needed.
More than 50 percent of Expedition customers value towing, and 15 percent tow weekly or monthly. That’s why the all-new Expedition offers Pro Trailer Backup Assist, which makes backing up a trailer as easy as turning a knob.
Plus, an available hands-free liftgate makes loading cargo easy.
Most adaptable Expedition ever
The all-new Expedition has a roomy, flexible interior. With seating for up to eight people and their gear, this full-size SUV makes modern family adventures more comfortable during short and long trips alike.
The all-new Expedition is the first full-size utility to feature a sliding second-row seat with tip-and-slide functionality, providing easy access to the third row without the need to first remove a child safety seat. Once in the third row, even adults will appreciate more legroom and reclining seats.
Expedition’s second- and third-row seats can be quickly folded flat with the push of a button to open up a cargo area wide enough to handle 4×8-foot sheets of plywood and other gear, depending on cargo weight and load distribution, even with the liftgate closed.
Even the drive is more adaptable, with Expedition’s all-new Terrain Management System™ that lets customers choose between drive modes for optimal vehicle handling in different conditions. This includes normal for around-town driving, sport for more spirited trips, tow/haul for improved towing and hauling performance, eco for enhanced fuel economy, grass/gravel/snow for loose terrain, sand for low traction situations, and mud/rut for uneven surfaces.
The all-new Ford Expedition is being unveiled at Ford Center at The Star with Stephen Jones, Dallas Cowboys chief operating officer and executive vice president.
Last fall, Ford and the Dallas Cowboys surprised Dallas firefighters of Station 43 by refurbishing their station. Ford is now working with both the Cowboys and the fire station to surprise a local first responder with an all-new Expedition to continue his unstoppable level of service and enable new family adventures.
The all-new Expedition is available in XLT, Limited and Platinum series. In addition, an XL version is available for fleet customers, from law enforcement to emergency services. To help customers choose the right amount of interior room for their families, all series are available on the extended-length Expedition MAX.
The all-new Expedition is part of Ford’s plan to grow its SUV leadership with five new vehicles for North America in the next four years.
The all-new Expedition arrives this fall. It is built at Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville, Kentucky.
SKIP THE PLANE PAIN, UPGRADE YOUR TRAVEL AND ENJOY MORE OF YOUR NEXT VACATION
- Air travel can be a real pain, but for shorter domestic trips, the all-new Ford Expedition’s combination of efficiency, comfort and technology can help get you, your family and your friends to your vacation destination without the long lines and delays
- All-new 2018 Ford Expedition has best-in-class fuel economy, with an EPA-estimated rating for the 4×2 SUV of 17 mpg city, 24 mpg highway and 20 mpg combined
- All three rows are truly comfortable places to be on long drives, offering charging and entertainment options you won’t find in any other vehicle and plenty of room for luggage as well as something a plane can’t do – tow along a boat or camper
DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 1, 2017 – The busy holiday travel season is fast approaching. Vacations, ski trips and catching up with family are sure to be exciting – if you can just get through the hassle of air travel.
Think about it: Just getting to the airport, parking, hauling bags, checking luggage, security lines, limited Wi-Fi, not enough places to charge your phone, overcrowded waiting areas, weather and mechanical delays, lost luggage and cramped seating all takes its toll. There has to be a better way and, in fact, there is. For shorter domestic trips, the all-new Ford Expedition might be an easier alternative to flying.
“The all-new Expedition fits eight people comfortably and can carry all of their luggage, while keeping everyone connected and entertained,” said Todd Hoevener, Ford Expedition chief engineer who has already opted to drive his family – including his two six-foot-something sons – from Michigan to Clearwater, Florida, this Christmas. “It’s really the ultimate road trip vehicle.”
Combined with generous fuel capacity, Expedition’s best-in-class efficiency based on EPA-estimated ratings equates to a long maximum range – up to 538 miles for the 4×2 Expedition Max. At freeway cruising speeds, that is more than 7 hours of driving, which means more roadside attractions, restaurants and scenic views – and less stopping for gas.
A combination of aluminum construction, 3.5-liter EcoBoost® engine and all-new 10-speed automatic transmission allows Expedition 4×2 to top all competitors in fuel economy. It has an EPA-estimated rating of 17 mpg city, 24 mpg highway and 20 mpg combined, while the 4×4 version returns 17 mpg city, 22 mpg highway and 19 mpg combined. The Expedition 4×2 is the only full-size SUV to achieve 20 miles per gallon combined, besting the Chevrolet Suburban (19 mpg), Chevrolet Tahoe (17), Nissan Armada (16) and the Toyota Sequoia (15).
Comfort on a long journey is key, and Expedition delivers on that count as well. As air travelers well know, the typical seat on a plane has tight hip room and short knee room, sometimes cramming your knees into your chest and forcing your heels toward your hips. In the world of seat design, this is called the hip-to-heel ratio, and in the all-new Expedition, the measurement is generous from front to back – making even the third row a comfortable place for full-grown adults to sit over long periods of time.
Another frustration air travelers experience is staying connected – something Expedition makes easy. There are standard USB charge ports for each row, so kids can play video games and surf their social media profiles uninterrupted. An available 4G modem with Wi-Fi hotspot keeps as many as 10 different devices connected and, if you subscribe, an available Sling Media-powered vehicle entertainment system means you can take in the big game or cartoons or even binge-watch an epic medieval soap opera to pass the time. And on the off-chance everyone agrees on music, home theater-like quality of 12-speaker B&O PLAY™ audio is available too.
Luggage will stay safe and sound with Expedition’s new available cargo management system that converts the deep, tall cargo area in the back to vertical storage, creating separate sections on the load floor. Store things like overnight bags on the top of the cargo area and enjoy easy access through the rear flip glass, or use the system to configure basic shelving. You can even create a visually secure storage area beneath the shelf – no lost bags on this vacation.
If your getaway includes taking a boat to the lake or spending a week in a camper – not possible with air travel – a properly equipped Expedition is rated to tow 9,300 pounds.
The all-new 2018 Ford Expedition is available at dealers soon, just in time to start planning the specifics for your upcoming road trip this holiday season.
Extended Utilities Class
Series: XLT, Limited, Platinum
All-new Ford Expedition is the smartest, most capable, most adaptable Expedition ever. It features a lightweight, high-strength all-aluminum-alloy body that rides atop a high-strength steel frame. Standard 3.5-liter EcoBoost® V6 features Auto Start-Stop and is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission to help deliver best-in-class towing of up to 9,300 pounds. Two-wheel drive is standard, with four-wheel drive available. Available technologies are adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go functionality, Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection that includes active braking, Pro Trailer Backup Assist, SYNC® 3 with SYNC Connect, dual-headrest rear seat entertainment system with Sling™ Media integration, 4G modem with Wi-Fi hotspot, wireless phone charging and second-row tilt-and-slide functionality. Terrain Management System™ is standard on four-wheel-drive Expedition. Two wheelbase options are available for standard Expedition and Expedition Max. Trim levels include XLT, Limited and Platinum series. A new FX4 Off-Road Package available for XLT includes upgraded shocks, heavy-duty radiator, 18-inch Magnetic-painted cast-aluminum wheels, an electronic limitedslip differential and underbody skid plates. Standard rearview camera carries over.
- 3.15 non-limited-slip rear axle (Expedition 4×2: XLT, Limited)
- 3.31 non-limited-slip rear axle (4×2: XLT MAX,
- Limited MAX and Platinum MAX; 4×4 all series)
- 12-volt powerpoints (four)
- Air conditioning with rear auxiliary controls
- Audio – AM/FM stereo/single-CD player with
- MP3 capability and six speakers
- Class IV trailer hitch
- Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler
- Electric power-assisted steering
- Engine – 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 with Auto
- Start-Stop Technology
- Halogen headlamps with rainlamp
- Keyless entry with push-button start
- Mirror – Auto-dimming rearview
- Mirrors – Power, heated sideview with security approach lamps
- Power windows and door locks with onetouch- up/-down driver’s side window feature
- Rear-wheel drive
- Rotary gear shift dial
- Seats – First-row buckets with recline and six-way power driver’s with power lumbar support; second-row 40/20/40 split (CenterSlide®) with recline; and third-row PowerFold® (XLT, Limited, Platinum)
- SYNC® (XLT)
- SYNC 3 with eight-inch LCD capacitive touchscreen with AppLink,® 911 Assist® and two smart-charging USB ports (Limited, Platinum; Available on XLT) Tilt/telescoping steering column
- Tow hooks (4×4)
- Transmission – 10-speed SelectShift® automatic
STANDARD SAFETY AND SECURITY
- Three-point safety belts for all seating positions
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™
- Airbags – Dual-stage front
- Airbags – Front-seat side
- Airbags – three-row Safety Canopy® System with side-curtain airbags and rollover sensor
- Belt-Minder® front safety belt reminder
- Brakes – 4-wheel disc with Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS)
- Individual tire pressure monitoring system (excludes spare)
- LATCH – Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Children
- Perimeter alarm
- Rearview camera with washer
- SecuriCode™ keyless entry keypad
- SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System™
- Traction control
- Trailer sway control
- 3.73 limited-slip rear axle
- Adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go
- BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System)
- ControlTrac® Four-Wheel-Drive
- Dual-headrest rear-seat entertainment system
- Enhanced Active Park Assist System with side parking sensors
- Hands-free foot-activated liftgate
- Lane-keeping system
- Panoramic Vista Roof®
- Power-deployable running boards
- Remote start system
- Seats – second-row buckets
- Voice-activated touchscreen with tip-and-slide feature navigation system
- Wheels – 22″ polished aluminum
- Cargo Package
- Connectivity Package
- Driver Assistance Package
- FX4 Off-Road Package
- Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package