Lighter, more powerful performance models put pricier competition in the rearview
DETROIT – The 2017 ZL1, the most powerful production Camaro ever, and the track-bred 1LE are designed to deliver exhilarating performance on both the open road and the road course, at prices that leave the competition behind.
When they go on sale later this year, the 2017 Camaro ZL1 will be priced at $62,135 for coupe models and $69,135 for convertibles. Prices include destination charge, but not tax, title and other dealer fees. The 1LE package is a $4,500 MSRP option on Camaro V-6 LT coupe models and $6,500 on the V-8 1SS coupe model. For LT coupes, the 1LE package features the Camaro SS’s FE3 suspension, while the 1SS benefits from the ZL1’s electronic limited-slip differential and FE4 suspension with Magnetic Ride dampers.
“The Camaro ZL1 offers supercar performance with daily-driver refinement, a combination that stacks up against any other sports coupe – at any price – around the world,” said Steve Majoros, director, Chevrolet marketing.
“Building on Chevrolet’s well-established recipe for track-focused performance, the new 1LE packages expand the performance envelope of the Camaro SS and, for the first time, the Camaro LT,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “You’ll be hard-pressed to find more track-capable cars in their respective classes for the money.”
- 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds
- Quarter-mile in 11.4 seconds at 127 mph
- 1.02 g max cornering
- 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters)
- 220-pound (100 kg) weight reduction
- 650-horsepower (485 kW) supercharged LT4 6.2L V-8 engine
*ZL1 performance numbers achieved with a coupe equipped with the available 10-speed automatic transmission and using original-equipment tires on a non-prepped surface.
- 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds with Camaro LT 1LE
- 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds with Camaro SS 1LE
- 0.97 g max cornering with Camaro LT 1LE
- 1.02 g max cornering with Camaro SS 1LE
- 60-0 mph braking in 112 feet (34 meters) with Camaro LT 1LE
- 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters) with Camaro SS 1LE
- 230-pound (104 kg) weight reduction (SS 1LE to previous model)
New 1LE Packages Elevates Camaro Track Capabilities
Track package returns with more technology for V8 models, first time offered on V6
CHICAGO – The Chevrolet Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2017, poised to set new benchmarks for attainable track performance.
The package builds off the success of the previous-generation 1LE, offering increased handling and track performance. In response to customer demand, Chevrolet will offer two distinct 1LE packages, for both V6 and V8 models, each visually distinguished with a satin black hood, specific wheels and more.
For the first time, the 1LE package will be available on Camaro 1LT or 2LT coupes equipped with the 3.6L V6. Featuring more aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo brakes and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97G in cornering grip. Available Recaro seats will keep you planted through the corners, and an available Performance Data Recorder will allow you to view and share your track experience.
The new 1LE package for Camaro 1SS models includes magnetic ride control, with a new FE4 suspension tuning and a new, segment-exclusive electronic limited slip differential (eLSD). Paired with massive Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1G. Additional features available on the 1LE package include standard Recaro seats and a Performance Data Recorder (PDR), new to the Camaro lineup.
As a result, the 1LE package elevates the award-winning performance that earned Camaro the 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year and Car and Driver 10Best awards.
“The Camaro 1LE packages follow a recipe any track-day enthusiast will appreciate,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “Start with a lightweight, stiff structure and then add higher levels of suspension stiffness and damping, more aggressive tires, higher downforce, more powerful brakes and more cooling.
“The result delivers better performance in all measures,” said Oppenheiser. “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model. The 2016 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS.”
The new 1LE packages are available in late 2016, on 2017 Camaro SS and LT V-6 coupes equipped with manual transmissions. Pricing and performance data will be announced at a later date.
Camaro LT 1LE
The Camaro LT 1LE was developed to be the most track-capable sports coupe in its price class. Highlights include:
- 3.6L V-6 rated at 335 horsepower and matched with the six-speed manual transmission
- FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
- Lightweight 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
- Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
- Mechanical Limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio
- Standard track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
- Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
- Standard dual mode exhaust system
- Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
- Satin black hood, front splitter and unique three-piece rear spoiler
- Unique high flow upper and lower grille with satin black accents
- Available Recaro seats and PDR video/data recording system.
“With a curb weight under 3,500 pounds, excellent front-to-rear weight balance and the precision of the FE3 suspension, the Camaro LT 1LE offers unmatched capability in its class,” said Oppenheiser. “As a result, it offers incredible performance for Camaro V-6 customers.”
Camaro SS 1LE
The 2017 Camaro SS 1LE introduces the new FE4 suspension to the Gen Six Camaro – a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the Magnetic Ride dampers, springs and stabilizer bars. Additional highlights include:
- 6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
- Magnetic Ride Control
- Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
- Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
- Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
- Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
- Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
- Dual mode exhaust system
- Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
- Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
- Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
- Available PDR video/data recording system.
FAST FACT: The 1LE package was developed in 1988 to make the Camaro more competitive in Showroom Stock road racing series and officially debuted in 1989. Four examples were reportedly built in 1988; with 111 built in 1989. The 1LE package was also featured on fourth-gen vehicles through the 1999 model year, returning to the fifth-gen Camaro in 2013.