SHARPENED DESIGN AND ENHANCED TECHNOLOGY
- Classic design details, such as the power dome and wave-design shoulder line, have been reimagined for the second generation
- The athleticism of the all-new Audi A5 design is matched by two new engines, a 252 horsepower TFSI® four-cylinder engine on the A5 and a 354 hp TFSI® V6 on the S5
- Full suite of standard and available driver assistance systems including Audi pre sense® city and adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist, helps drivers navigate the road and traffic with increased confidence
HERNDON, Virginia, November 14, 2016, 9 AM ET – The all-new 2018 Audi A5 and S5 Coupe build upon the heritage and success of the first generation, while bringing reimagined design details to the new A5 family of vehicles. The A5’s design is backed by two powerful new engines to deliver a full range of driving experiences from efficient refinement to dynamic power.
New for 2018, the elegant and athletic two-door coupe delivers even more impressive technology such as the available Audi virtual cockpit and MMI® touch and driver assistance systems including standard Audi pre sense® city and available adaptive cruise control with stop & go and traffic jam assist.
The exterior of the A5 and S5 coupe has been redesigned to feature more dramatic shapes and sharp lines. Classic design details such as the hood power dome, strong shoulder line and pronounced wheel arches add elegance and emotion to the already sporty character of the vehicle. Slim, yet sculptural three-dimensional LED taillights offer a distinctly powerful look and emphasize vehicle width.
Featuring a completely new powertrain, the A5 coupe comes standard equipped with a 2.0-liter TFSI® four-cylinder engine and, for the first time, a seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch transmission, which melds efficiency with dynamic shifting characteristics to help optimize fuel consumption. In addition, a newly designed turbocharged 3.0-liter TFSI® V6 engine offers S5 customers more horsepower, torque.
For 2018, the exterior design of the A5 family vehicles feature a wider horizontal architecture and lower stance to enhance the vehicle’s athletic appeal. Sophisticated interior details, including the Audi brand’s hallmark wing-design wrap-around dashboard, underscore the progressive nature of the A5.
Exterior design highlights include:
- Wider, flatter Singleframe® grille and longer, lower hood lines create a dome that highlights the powerful engines of the new A5 and S5
- Wave-design shoulder line and pronounced wheel arches provide cues to the standard quattro® all-wheel drive and a strong link to the iconic design of the first generation A5
- Standard Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights or available full LED headlights; standard LED taillights with dynamic rear turn signals
- Standard 18” 10-spoke-dynamic design wheels with all-season tires or available 19” multi-spoke design wheels with contrasting gray/polished finish on A5 models
- A5 Coupe models with the available s-line package come standard equipped with 18” 5-arm star design wheels or optional 19” 5-parallel-spoke design wheels
- Standard 18” Audi Sport® 5-double-spoke-star design wheels with summer performance tires or available 19” 5-spoke-Cavo design wheels with contrasting gray/polished finish on S5 models
Interior design highlights include:
- Three-spoke multifunction steering wheel with shift paddles; three-spoke multifunction flat-bottom sport steering wheel with shift paddles on S5 models
- Standard three-zone automatic climate control with wing-design wrap-around dashboard and diffuser air vent helps recreate natural airflow
- Standard eight-way power front seats with four-way power lumbar adjustment for the driver on A5 models; standard S sport seats with contrast diamond stitching, pneumatic side bolsters and massage function on S5 models
- Standard panoramic sunroof adds light to the cabin
- Standard ambient LED lighting or available ambient LED lighting plus package with 30 color settings
- Standard Aluminum Trimaran inlays, available High-gloss Dark Brown Walnut Wood or Natural Gray Oak inlays on A5 models; standard Aluminum matte brushed or available Carbon Atlas inlays on S5 models
- Folding and sliding front-center armrest with height adjustment
POWERTRAIN AND PERFORMANCE
Powerful and efficient, the A5 Coupe models are equipped with a 2.0-liter TFSI® four-cylinder engine, coupled with either a seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission or a six-speed manual transmission, to produce 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque and sprint from 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds for the S tronic and 5.7 seconds for the manual.
The S5 Coupe models receive a completely new 3.0 TFSI V6 engine that produces an impressive 354 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque and sprints from 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds. The 2018 S5 is also newly equipped with an eight-speed Tiptronic® automatic transmission that is well suited for the low-end torque of the new 3.0-liter TFSI engine.
Every Audi A5 is standard-equipped with quattro® all-wheel drive, offering enhanced agility through electronic torque vectoring. A5 models equipped with the S tronic® transmission and S5 models with the Tiptronic® automatic transmission command drive torque through a self-locking center differential, with a basic ratio of 40:60 front to rear, and wheel-selective torque control.
New for 2018, A5 models equipped with the six-speed manual offer the new quattro® with ultra® technology. The technology utilizes an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch along with a decoupling rear axle differential to achieve fully variable torque distribution. This quattro system with ultra technology allows for intelligent, proactive control of the all-wheel drive system to help predictively modify the torque application as the driver demands or the road conditions require.
As part of the S sport package, the S5 with quattro® sport differential can offer an even more dynamic driving experience by actively spliting torque between the wheels of the rear axle, with the ability to direct nearly all torque to one wheel, helping maximize driving dynamics.
|A5 Coupe||2.0 TFSI® quattro ultra AWD||Six-speed manual||252 hp @ 5,000-6,000 rpm||273 lb-ft @ 1,600-4,500 rpm|
|A5 Coupe||2.0 TFSI® quattro AWD||Seven-speed S tronic®||252 hp @ 5,000-6,000 rpm||273 lb-ft @ 1,600-4,500 rpm|
|S5 Coupe||3.0 TFSI® quattro AWD||Eight-speed Tiptronic®||354 hp @ 5,400-6,400 rpm||369 lb-ft @ 1,370-4,500 rpm|
CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION
For 2018, the newly developed standard front and rear suspension for the A5 model line allows for both a sporty driving experience and more comfortable ride for long distances. The redesigned front five-link suspension with lightweight construction offers greater steering precision and excellent handling through optimized steering-rack placement direct at wheel centers. Handling and comfort enhancements have also improved through the reduced unsprung weight of lightweight aluminum control-arm components and revised elastokinematic attributes.
Chassis and suspension features include
- Standard Audi drive select with four different modes – comfort, auto, dynamic and individual – allows the driver to change gear shift points, steering, and available damper control and adaptive cruise control adjustments.
- Available sport suspension (A5 models) lowers ride height by approximately 23 mm and utilizes different tubular anti-roll bars, dampers, and linear-rate springs.
- Available comfort adaptive damping suspension (A5 models) lowers ride height by 10 mm and uses continuous electronic damper control to enable the various suspension and damping combinations that make up the Audi drive select modes.
- Similar to the previous generation, S5 models offer available sport adaptive damping suspension with a new suspension control unit. This unit houses the software for suspension and damping control plus the sensors for measuring acceleration and yaw rates.
- Availabe dynamic steering (S5 models only) offers a variable steering ratio that adjusts based on vehicle speed and the Audi drive select setting.
Offering benchmark infotainment and technology features, the A5 family includes a host of standard and available equipment for the new model year including the Audi virtual cockpit, a full-color head-up display and Audi connect® packages.
Technology features include:
- Available Audi virtual cockpit features a 12.3-inch display that delivers vibrant color at 60 frames per second with NVIDIA® quad core processing power. The virtual cockpit helps to enhance the infotainment viewing and navigating experience via the large Google Earth™ images (requires Audi connect PRIME) supported with 4G LTE (where available).
- Available full-color head-up display projects relevant driving information directly in the driver’s field of vision.
- Available for the first time in the A5 model line, MMI® touch® with handwriting-recognition technology includes a simplified function-key layout with two touch-keys for horizontal menu control logic.
- Standard Audi smartphone interface provides Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto integration via USB connection, making smartphone interactions easier and more seamless for the driver.
- The available 19 speaker, 755 watt Bang & Olufsen® sound system with 3D sound creates almost true-to-life surround sound reproduction.
Audi connect packages together all applications that help connect the vehicle with the internet, the owner and the surrounding infrastructure (active subscription required). Improved functions include online traffic info, weather updates, fuel prices, Apple Siri® Eyes Free integration for compatible devices, internet radio streaming as well as picture navigation, read-aloud personalized news headlines and Twitter® alerts, among other features.
Supported by 4G LTE (where available), available in-car Audi connect® CARE features include:
- Vehicle services such as vehicle status report, online roadside assistance and service interval notification
- Automatic Crash Notification (SOS)
- Manual Emergency Call (SOS)
- Stolen Vehicle Locator
The Audi connect mobile application has also been updated to support new remote services designed for the US market which include Curfew, Speed, and Valet Alerts, remote lock and unlock capability and online car finder.
ADVANCED DRIVER ASSISTANCE SYSTEMS
The A5 model line incorporates many advanced driver assistance systems that are designed to help drivers navigate the road and traffic with confidence.
Driver assistance features:
- In the case of an impending collision, standard Audi pre sense® basic can intervene to help prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes beginning to close the side windows and panoramic sunroof, pretensioning the front safety belts.
- Standard Audi pre sense city helps detects cornering and stationary vehicles as well as pedestrians, at speeds of up to 52 mph and can initiate full braking when a potential collision is detected.
- Audi side assist (standard on Premium Plus and Prestige trims) provides blind spot monitoring via LED indicators on the exterior mirror housings at speeds above 9 mph.
- Audi pre sense rear (standard on Premium Plus and Prestige) helps monitor the traffic following the vehicle and takes similar actions to Audi pre sense basic.
- Vehicle exit assist (as part of Audi side assist) can help prevent incidents with a side assist warning light, which blinks and helps alert the driver when vehicles or cyclists are approaching from behind as the vehicle doors are opened.
- Rear cross traffic assist (as part of Audi side assist) supports the driver when reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. Indicator arrows in the MMI® display can inform the driver of approaching vehicles, and in critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied, prompting the driver to stop the vehicle.
- Available Adaptive cruise control with stop & go and traffic jam assist helps maintain set distance from the vehicle in front, including braking and accelerating as needed. Between 0-40 mph, traffic jam assist combines acceleration, braking and steering guidance, which can reduce the stress of driving in congested traffic.
- Available traffic sign recognition (as part of the Driver assistance package) including vehicle speed warning can detect speed limits and displays the information in the Audi virtual cockpit or driver information system. Additionally, the system helps evaluate various driving conditions, no passing zones and school and construction zones.
- Available Audi active lane assist observes lane markings and can provide gentle steering wheel warning vibrations if it is determined that the vehicle is approaching the edge of the lane without signaling.
- Turn assist (as part of the Driver Assistance package) can detect the approach of oncoming traffic, when making a left-hand turn at an intersection (when the vehicle is traveling above 1 mph and below 7 mph and turn signal is activated).
Always pay careful attention to the road, and do not drive while distracted.
Driver assistance features are not substitutes for attentive driving. See Owner’s Manual for further details, and important limitations.
Audi connect should only be used when it is safe and appropriate. Audi connect services and features are optional, provided with the support of authorized affiliated and third party service providers, and may require additional subscriptions with separate terms and conditions. Services are subject to change, and Google Earth and Street view services may not be available after December 2017. Certain services collect location information, see Terms of Service for information about how to disable and for other details.
- World premiere:
- The new Audi A5 and S5 Coupe will be available at dealerships in autumn 2016.
- Both models roll off the assembly line in Ingolstadt.
- Powerful six-cylinder engines for more driving pleasure and efficiency
- High tech interior with Audi virtual cockpit and Audi connect
Audi revolutionized its mid-size class in 2007 with the A5. The Ingolstadt-based carmaker created a work of art that took fans around the world by storm. Nine years later marks the launch of the second generation – with a new, honed look and high tech everywhere. The new generation of the A5 Coupe is athletic, sporty and elegant. Its design goes hand in hand with sophisticated aerodynamics. Under the skin the A5 impresses with an all-new chassis, powerful engines, and innovative infotainment features and driver assistance systems.
How do you make a design masterpiece even more beautiful? Audi designers have been pondering this question for years. The results are impressive: The new Audi A5 Coupe sports a fresh, modern and honed look. It is nevertheless true to its DNA with the sporty and elegant character being passed down to the new version. The best example is the now three-dimensional wave-shaped shoulder line that already characterized the previous model. The precisely sweeping line with pronounced bulges over the wheel arches emphasizes all four wheels – a cue to the quattro all-wheel drive.
The perfectly balanced proportions with a long engine hood, the stretched wheelbase and short overhangs underscore the sportiness of the new A5 Coupe. The sculpted Singleframe grille is significantly flatter and wider than in the previous model. The LED rear lights and optional LED or Matrix LED headlights with dynamic turn signals make high-end technology visible even after dark.
The new Audi A5 Coupe will launch in Germany with five engines: two TFSI and three TDI units. Their power output has increased considerably and is now between 140 kW (190 hp) and 210 kW (286 hp). Compared with the previous model, they offer up to 17 percent more performance while consuming as much as 22 percent less fuel. All the engines combine high efficiency with sporty power development and smooth running – especially the two 3.0 TDI six-cylinder engines.
With its newly developed 3.0 TFSI, the Audi S5 Coupe is now in a league of its own. The turbo V6 exhibits highly efficient, sports car-like performance. From its 2,995 cc of displacement, the boosted six-cylinder engine produces 260 kW (354 hp) of power, which is 15 kW (21 hp) more than the engine in the previous model.
The new Audi A5 Coupe comes with a drivetrain solution tailor-made for each engine variant. The manual six-speed gearbox and the seven-speed S tronic are used with the four-cylinder engines as well as the 160 kW (218 hp) 3.0 TDI with front- or all-wheel drive. The eight-speed tiptronic is reserved for the top diesel with 210 kW (286 hp) and the S5 engine. Both engines come standard with quattro all-wheel drive. Audi also offers the optional rear-axle sport differential for even more dynamic driving and precision.
The new quattro with ultra technology is also available for the first time. At the moment it can be combined with the four-cylinder TFSI and TDI engines with manual transmission. Optimized for efficiency, the drive system does not exhibit any perceptible differences to permanent systems in terms of traction and driving dynamics.
The all-new chassis is among the strengths of the Audi A5 Coupe. It offers the driver optimal comfort combined with a high degree of agility. The A5 thus handles narrow, winding mountain roads and long trips on the Autobahn with equal aplomb. Audi offers a suspension with damper control as an option. This is integrated into the dynamic handling system known as Audi drive select, which enables the driver to modify the basic characteristic in multiple steps.
The electromechanical power steering is also a new development from Audi. It adapts according to the vehicle’s current speed and provides highly precise road feedback. Optionally available is the dynamic steering, which varies its gear ratio depending on the speed and steering angle.
The Audi A5 Coupe is significantly more efficient than its predecessor. This is due in large part to a reduction in weight as well as sophisticated aerodynamics. The engineers were able to trim the curb weight by as much as 60 kilograms (132.3 lb). The body is the lightest in the competitive field thanks to an intelligent mix of materials and lightweight design. With a drag coefficient of 0.25, the A5 Coupe is also the segment leader with respect to aerodynamics.
The interior benefits from the increased dimensions and longer wheelbase. Space for driver and passengers is more generous. The horizontal architecture of the instrument panel and the continuous air vent strip create a wide sense of space.
As is typical for Audi, interior build quality is uncompromisingly high. High-quality materials in a wide range of colors provide for a particularly pleasant ambiance and underscore the premium character of the mid-sized model. Optional ambient lighting highlights the interior with a choice of 30 adjustable shades. The new A5 Coupe also redefines the class benchmark for aeroacoustics. The acoustic comfort is almost that of a luxury class model.
The luggage compartment offers a volume of 465 liters (16.4 cu ft), 10 liters
(0.4 cu ft) more than with the previous model. The rear seat has a 40:20:40 split and can be easily folded forward using levers in the luggage compartment. Audi also offers the two-door coupé with optional gesture control for opening the luggage compartment lid via a foot motion. The optional trailer hitch is electrically released at the press of a button.
Display and controls
The A5 Coupe is now available for the first time with the optional Audi virtual cockpit, a 12.3-inch TFT display with a resolution of 1,440 x 540 pixels. Together with the MMI navigation plus including 8.3-inch monitor on the center console, it forms the central information unit. The focal point of the MMI terminal is the round rotary pushbutton. Its surface is home to the touch-sensitive touchpad. The touchpad is used to input characters and also for multifinger gestures, enabling the driver to zoom in on the map, for example. The whole MMI control logic is similar to that of a smartphone, including the intelligent free text search function. The new, more natural voice control system can recognize input made using everyday language, such as: “I would like to call Peter.”
Infotainment and Audi connect
Customers choosing MMI navigation plus automatically also get the hardware module Audi connect and the new Audi connect SIM, a SIM card permanently installed in the car. The new Audi A5 Coupe uses this to connect to the Internet via the ultrafast LTE network. Use of the versatile Audi connect services is free of charge of three years, both in Germany and in most European countries. The respective national provider is selected automatically as needed.
Independent of the integrated Audi connect services, customers can also purchase optional data packages for individual Internet use using the Wi-Fi hotspot. This allows all passengers to surf the Web and send/receive email with up to eight mobile devices at attractive rates.
The A5 can also be equipped with the optional Audi connect safety & service package. This includes such functions as an automatic emergency call in the event of an accident, online roadside assistance and Audi service request as well as remote functions that can be used with the MMI connect app on a smartphone, smartwatch or – in conjunction with the fourth generation Apple TV – from a television.
Examples include locking and unlocking the car, checking where the car is parked and calling up the vehicle status.
With the Audi smartphone interface, Apple Car Play and Android Auto bring the familiar smartphone environment to the car, if desired. The optional Audi phone box with wireless charging in the center armrest uses near-field coupling to link smartphones wirelessly to the vehicle’s antenna and enables inductive charging according to the Qi standard. For very discerning hi-fi fans, the Bang &
Olufsen sound system with its innovative 3D sound is available as an option.
Driver assistance systems
An intelligent combination of different technologies enhances the safety, comfort and efficiency of the new Audi A5 Coupe. At the same time, Audi is also taking the next step toward piloted driving. The broad choice of innovative driver assistance systems sets standards in the segment. Compared with the previous model, nearly all of the systems are either completely new or have been extensively updated.
The predictive efficiency assistant helps the driver save fuel, Audi active lane assist helps keep the car on track in the driving lane, and the Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic jam assist offers the driver relief in slow-moving traffic. New and important safety features include the park assist, cross traffic assist rear, exit warning, collision avoidance assist and turn assist as well as the Audi pre sense systems. Camera-based recognition of traffic signs rounds out the lineup.
The new Audi A5 Coupe will launch in Germany and additional European countries in fall 2016. Compared with the previous model, the list of standard equipment is even more generous. Among the features included are xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED rear lights, LED interior lights, the Audi MMI radio plus with 7-inch MMI color display, Bluetooth and USB charging function, the three- spoke multifunction steering wheel (including shift paddles in models with automatic transmission), height-adjustable belt feeds, the Audi drive select dynamic handling system and Audi pre sense city.
New trim lines provide numerous customization opportunities, for both the interior and the exterior. Besides the base model, there are also the sport and design lines. The S line sport package and the Audi design selection are available for sophisticated customization, particularly for the interior. Audi offers the S line exterior package for a particularly dynamic appearance.
The Audi S5 Coupe
From 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 4.7 seconds. The new Audi S5 Coupe combines dramatic elegance with the performance of a sports car. Its newly developed, turbocharged V6 engine produces 260 kW (354 hp) and consumes just 7.3 liters of fuel per 100 km (32.2 US mpg). The sharper S exterior design and the S-specific details in the interior underscore the dynamic character of the Audi two-door sports coupe.